It has been a while since I last gave you an update. I became very, very busy about mid July. I started running the shows every night. It was a bit crazy but was a great experience. I also got a chance to design a small scene in the apprentice scene showcase. I had two performers one was 6’6” and the other was 6’8”. The time period was 1560 in Spain. We pulled everything from the Opera’s stock and then altered them to fit the performers. I had to add 10” extensions to the sleeves of a shirt and 10” to the bottom of the robe. It proved to be an interesting challenge and it looked AMAZING!!! I was so proud and happy that it turned out the way it did. The last week of the season was when everyone back in New York was heading back to Fredonia and I wasn’t. It was a little sad and strange. Even in New Mexico it was a bittersweet ending to the season.
Now I am back in school, I think I am finally caught up with my schoolwork. But I immediately started pulling costumes and designing Charley’s Aunt. I have been so busy and it is only about week 3 or 4?! I don’t even know! Charley’s Aunt is the first main stage production for the department. It is my first big design that I get to do. I am really excited and very scared at the same time. There are a lot of things that you have to keep in mind when designing the costumes for a show. You have to make sure that the director likes the way you are headed, that it works with the overall concept of the show, that your design also will tie into the set so the characters look like they are from the same world, and you have to interact with the performers to make sure they are comfortable and like their costumes. It is a learning process and so far it is going well, I just hope it stays that way!
End of the Summer Wrap Up from Santa Fe