Well this is my last Blog post for my directed study project. I have finished my corset! I am so happy that I was able to finish it. It took awhile and some cursing but its done. It is a very basic and beginner corset in terms of construction but it looks really nice. After cutting it out of the fashion fabric, I also had to cut a second layer out of the muslin and a layer out of baby’s flannel. There are basically three different layers to this corset. I stitched together the fashion fabric and the muslin into two separate layers and then stitched the baby’s flannel to the muslin layer. Next step was to put the corset together. I stitched the tops together to incase the edges, placed the bones in the cases and then stitched to bottom together. I added some bias tape to the top and the bottom edges to give the corset a nice finished look. I ended up dying the white bias tape a blue color so it matched the decorative stitching that I added to the corset. A little hand stitching then it was complete! Pictures to prove it.
I mentioned that this was my last Blog post for my directed study because our school semester is over. Most everyone has graduated, moved back home for the summer or are heading off to a summer stock job. That will be me in about a week. I will be heading back to Santa Fe, NM to work for the Santa Fe Opera Company. I will have the same position as last summer. I have a lot of unpacking and re-packing to do before I can even think of leaving home. I am going to keep you all updated with what I am doing while I am in Santa Fe, so look forward to that! Until then, hope all is well and thanks for reading!