It was a great night for Fredonia theatre alums at the 24th Annual Artie Awards held on June 2, 2014 at the Town Ballroom in Buffalo NY. The Arties is Buffalo’s annual celebration of its theatre season, a time to acknowledge the contributions of actors, designers and theatre companies in the city, and also a fundraising event for the Erie County Medical Center Immunodeficiency Services.
Here is a list of the TADA award winners and other participants in the festivities. We are very proud of all of them!
- Tom Dudzick - Lifetime Achievement Award. Also one of the evening’s presenters.
- Josie DiVincenzo - Outstanding Actress in a Play (Dai)
- Steve Copps - Outstanding Actor in a Musical (Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson). Steve took the opportunity to announce that he and his wife Kelly are expecting their first child!
- Tom Loughlin - Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Play (Hamlet)
- Matt LaChuisa/Steve Brachman/Maura Nolan/Steve Copps - Outstanding Production of a Musical (Producer/Cast members Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson)
- Tom LaChuisa - Outstanding Ensemble of a Play (Cast member A View from the Bridge). Nomination for Outstanding Actor in a Play (A View from the Bridge).
- Michele Costa - Nomination for Supporting Actress in a Musical (Buffalo Moon)
- Mary Ryan - Nomination for Outstanding Production of a Musical (Cast Member Into The Woods)
- Maura Nolan - Nomination for Outstanding Ensemble of a Play (Cast Member Dog Sees God)
- Charmagne (Hale) Chi - Nomination for Outstanding Actress in a Musical (I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change). Charmagne was also one of the evening’s gracious, witty and lovely hosts.
- Dixon Reynolds - Nomination for Outstanding Costume Design (A Woman of No Importance)
- Matthew LaChuisa - Nomination Emmanuel Fried Award for Outstanding New Play (Shine). Matt is a Fredonia graduate from the English Department, and he is also the founder and Artistic Director of the American Repertory Theatre of Western NY, which produced Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson. He has hired several Fredonia alums to work in his theatre. We welcome him as an “honorary” TADA alum!
- Sophie Howes, Raphael Santos, Eliza Vann - Blossom Cohan Debut Awards (recognizes all actors making their debut performances in Buffalo theatres)
- Michael Hake served as Musical Director for the evening
- 5-time winner Brian Riggs was one of the evening’s presenters.
- In attendance in addition to the winners and nominees were Tina Rausa, Chris Scherr, Marisa Caruso and Sean Marciniak.
I hope I got everybody! Let us know if we missed something!
I think it’s fairly safe to say that Fredonia’s theatre program is well-represented in the city of Buffalo, and it continues to grow. Buffalo affords to our graduates not only the opportunity to grow and develop in their art, but also to work within a tremendously hard-working, supportive, and talented community of theatre artists producing excellent theatre in venues large and small. Congratulations to all the recipients, nominees and participants in this major event! Here are some pictures - hopefully more will follow.
Josie DiVincenzo with her award for Outstanding Actress in a Play
Steve Brachman, cast member in Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson
Steve Copps accepting his award for Outstanding Actor in a Musical